If you love rice and want to try a different recipe, this is definitely a good one to make. I used basmati rice, but you can use jasmine rice instead. I’m not sure how this would turn out with brown rice or any other type of rice.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups broth – you choose which you want to use. I used 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth.
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 – 10.5 oz. cans of cream of chicken (or if you have other cream of whatever soups, you can use those)
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups rice (I used basmati)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 13×9 baking dish and set aside.
- Add beef, sausage, onion, and minced garlic into a skillet. Crumble the meat and brown.
- Once the meat is cooked, drain and put back into skillet.
- In a large bowl, add the broth, garlic salt, cream of chicken soups, and dry onion soup mix. Mix until well combined and there are no chunks.
- Pour the soup mix into the skillet with the meat and continue to cook until it starts to bubble.
- Carefully stir in the rice and then add to the 13×9 baking dish.
- Cover the dish with foil very tightly.
- Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. If anything had cooled prior to putting this in the oven, you may need to give it an extra 20 minutes.
- After the hour, remove the dish from the oven and leave covered for 15 minutes to finish cooking.
- Carefully remove the foil.
- With a fork, fluff the rice. It’s ready to eat!
If you are looking to put some toppings on this, here are some great ones to consider:
- Soy sauce
- Cairo BBQ sauce
- Tajin seasoning
In the morning, if there are leftovers, put some of this in a skillet along with a fried egg – this can be a very filling breakfast!
Original recipe: https://www.southyourmouth.com/2018/05/jailhouse-rice.html
One Comment Add yours