Do you love meatloaf, cheese and want to try something different for dinner? This is a great one to try! When we do this one again, I may forgo the ketchup/bbq glaze and use a pasta sauce instead.
Ingredients for the Meatloaf:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used the Italian flavored)
- 1 small onion (the one pictured I used half of it when I diced it up)
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic (or 3 garlic cloves)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (heaping)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin (heaping)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese (I used some shredded but also cut some off the block in picture)
- *Optional* Any other seasonings you may want to add… I use these craft blends that I get off of Amazon Link to their store is here (I am not receiving any reimbursement or credit for this)
For the Glaze:
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 2 TBSP honey (if using a honey bbq sauce, add less)
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Siracha Sauce
- *Optional* Fresh Parsley for garnish
- Line a 6-quart slow cooker (or a bigger slow cooker) with a sheet of aluminum foil. Grease with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, onions, garlic, Italian Seasoning, cumin, any other seasonings, egg, milk, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix with your hands until combined, but DO NOT overmix. If you have a KitchenAid mixer, this can be done using that as well with the paddle.
Divide meat in half.
Press one half of the meat into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Spread shredded mozzarella down the center, leaving about 1/2 inch space around the sides. This is where I added the sliced mozzarella cheese as well on top of the shredded… can’t have enough cheese!
Top with remaining meat and shape it into a loaf, and press around to seal the edges. As long as you have the meat mixture combined well enough, there should be little to no cracks as it cooks. If it does, don’t worry!
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and Sriracha sauce.
Brush half of the glaze over the meatloaf. Reserve the remaining half for later.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Meatloaf is done when temperature reaches 160˚F on an Instant Read Thermometer.
Add remaining glaze and put lid back on for another 10 minutes. This will give you enough time to prepare any other side dishes like green beans and a pasta (we had a pastaroni that took about 10 minutes)
Lift out the meatloaf by holding onto the foil; transfer to a plate first and then to a baking dish. I did this because I was going to take the meatloaf from the foil, take a couple spatulas and transfer to a 9×13 dish to cut. Do what you feel most comfortable with!
Garnish with parsley (if you remember – I forgot!) and serve.
When I was cutting into this, I was wondering where the cheese was – it is there!
Original recipe: https://diethood.com/mozzarella-stuffed-crockpot-meatloaf/